Mental Health & Justice Case Management
Cota’s Mental Health & Justice Case Management Program provides individualized support to clients living with severe and persistent mental illnesses who are also currently involved with the criminal justice system.
Cota’s Mental Health & Justice Case Management Program provides:
- Comprehensive assessment
- Collaborative development of a personalized safety plan
- Collaborative development of and implementation of an individualized recovery / goal plan
- Assistance to achieve / maintain optimum health and wellness
- Direct support in the areas of:
- Assistance with legal issues and proceedings. Attendance at court appearances with client; liaise with attorneys, court support workers, bail supervisors and probation officers on the client’s behalf.
- Staff work in collaboration with various housing providers and independent landlords to maintain accommodation so clients spend as little time as possible in the shelter system.
- Support and advocate with Ontario Works / Ontario Disability Program attending appointments with the client ensuring that all income reporting deadlines are met
- Advocacy with medical and psychiatric services to ensure service is accessible to our clients.
- Provide education about the nature of the client’s mental illness both to the client and their support network
- Development of self management strategies, personal support networks in addition to encouragement, emotional support and motivation to assist client’s with achieving personal goals
- Support development / maintenance of client abilities as they relate to activities of daily living
- Identification and referral to and support in accessing other desired / needed community and primary health care services
Services Available To
Adults (18 years +) who are living with serious mental illness. In addition, individuals must have active involvement with the justice system, be out of custody and be assessed COTA Health as being able to be safely supported in the community by this service.
The Cota Mental Health & Justice Case Management Program is offered to residents of Toronto.
How to Make a Referral
Referrals to this service can be made by contacting Cota’s Client Services at 416-785-9230.
This program is funded by the Central Local Health Integration Network and the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network.