JOB POSTING #255
ADL ASSISTANT – COOK
Bargaining Unit Position
One (1) Permanent Part-Time
Cota is an accredited community-based organization that has been supporting adults with mental health and cognitive challenges to live well within their communities for over 40 years. We provide person-centred supports that assist individuals to find inspiration and hope in their inherent strengths and support them to pursue meaningful change in their lives, as they define it. We also work collaboratively with our funders, our partners and other stakeholders, across the provincial health and social service systems, to inspire positive change in the way that services are delivered to individuals living with mental health and cognitive challenges.
We are seeking a dynamic and innovative individual who will work enthusiastically to deliver recovery oriented, client and family centered and comprehensive services that meet client needs, ensure client safety and work within a quality improvement framework to identify opportunities for enhancing quality and quantitative outcomes of the services. Client and family centered care is guiding principle at Cota that helps improve decision making processes, health outcome and client experiences. The successful individual will embed this guiding principle into their work.
The ADL Assistant (Food Program) will work collaboratively with the Bailey House/Diabetic Care Team and tenants to develop healthy menus and support tenants in planning, preparing and serving healthy meals and snacks daily. In addition to maintaining the safety and security of the kitchen and the food prepared, the ADL Assistant – Cook will be responsible for grocery shopping/supplies, maintain inventory control of food/supplies and perform cleaning duties. They will monitor functioning of all kitchen equipment/appliances; maintain records (recipes, allergies, and dietary needs), report maintenance and repairs along with unsafe conditions/incidents to managers. They will provide support and directions to tenants, volunteer and/or community placements by demonstrating tasks, monitoring work and providing feedback. All activities will be performed to encourage tenants’ participation, promote independence and respect tenants’ choices and dietary needs.
The successful candidate requires:
- Graduation from a recognized 12-month program in cooking plus one (1) year of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience with healthy and nutritious menu planning and cooking using a variety of methods including roasting, grilling, baking etc.
- Understanding of and experience working with individuals with mental health issues
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to using recovery-oriented and anti-racism and anti-oppression philosophies and best practices
- Experience teaching cooking and safe food handlings skills an asset
- Current Food Safety Certificate
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Able to work independently
- Able to collaborate and work effectively with others
- Demonstrated ability to understand and maintain client/worker boundaries
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
Please forward a cover letter and your current resume on or before May 26, 2020 by 4:00pm to Human Resources via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job Posting #255.
Posting ad date is May 12, 2020; the posting will remain open until successfully filled.
If you have any requirements for accommodation due to disability, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment and selection process. We will work with you to best meet your needs as per resources available to us.
Cota is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We request no emails, faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please. Cota encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.)